Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Margot Johnson with LOVE LEADS THE WAY

 


1 – When did you first get the urge to write?

I grew up in a family of writers, so writing was always the thing to do. At university, I took English and early in my writing life, I wrote a lot of magazine articles. I then evolved to children’s stories and eventually, romance.

2 – What happened to your first ever manuscript?

A hard copy draft of my first novel is sitting in a box in my spare room. My sister and I co-authored it, and sometimes I think about dusting it off and revising it now that we both know a lot more about writing a novel.

3 – What do your family and friends think of your passion for writing?

They support me all the way. My husband even proofreads and says he enjoys my books even though romance is not his usual genre. My sister Donna Gartshore writes for Harlequin Love Inspired, and we have great discussions and trade ideas at family dinners. If others get tired of our conversations about writing, they are kind enough not to tell us!

4 – Have you ever used someone you know as a character in a book?

No, my characters are fictional, but real-life experiences definitely influence my books. Sometimes my characters have qualities I wish I had.

In LOVE LEADS THE WAY, Tessa and Mark both support a mother with dementia which brings some tough but also light moments. My late dad died of complications from Alzheimer’s, so that part of the book is close to my heart. He was a journalist who always encouraged me to read and write.

My loyal, old golden retriever, Sophie, is the inspiration for the dogs in my books.

5 – Tell us about this book. 

She coaches him in team leadership, but do they both need lessons in love?

     Single mom Tessa Shore runs a successful leadership program at work and supports a mother with dementia. She can handle any challenge in her jam-packed schedule as long as nothing spins out of control…especially her feelings.
     Engineer Mark Delaney is an expert on pipelines at the same company, but his interpersonal skills need a makeover. Advancing to an executive job requires enrollment in a leadership course he doesn't think he needs.
      When their professional and personal issues entangle, life at the office gets a lot more complicated. Romance is impossible…or is it?

6 – Give us an example of a favorite scene. 

Pacing around Crescent Park in moonlight trimmed with stars, Mark breathed fresh air and slowed his erratic heartbeats from the shock of Tessa’s invitation. Apparently, the woman who directed the class with the precision of an air-traffic controller could flex…at least, a little. She wanted to spend extra time with him, and he couldn’t refuse.

“I didn’t think we’d bump into other participants at this late hour.” She hugged tighter her windbreaker against the cool breeze. “We won’t mix business and pleasure. I’m strictly off duty, and so are you.”

“Okay, Tessa, whatever you say.” Zipping higher his jacket, he strode and sniffed moisture riding the wind. Guilt tiptoed around his collar, and he couldn’t escape the feeling this outing was a bad idea. He should avoid her, except in class, yet he accepted her invitation. But why did she break her own rule and contact him? “If I can’t discuss work, can I ask you a personal question?” He admired her profile with pert nose tipped to the sky, breathing the fresh night air.

“I guess so since I’m the woman who persuades everyone else to dish.” She laughed and brushed a curl from her cheek.

Streetlights alternated with a full moon to light the pathway. Their footsteps crunched on gravel, and their murmured voices broke the peaceful silence.

               “Ready.” She tucked her hands in jacket pockets.

“Is Mr. Shore waiting at home?” He winced at his forward question. No sense beating around the bush. He shouldn’t pine for someone else’s wife.

7 – Is this book part of a series?

My first book LOVE TAKES FLIGHT is also a sweet romance but is its own story unrelated to LOVE LEADS THE WAY. What the books share in common is they are both fun reads with characters who overcome personal challenges and love family and dogs. They combine poignant moments with light humor.

8 – Where can we buy your book? (buy links)

LOVE LEADS THE WAY

LOVE TAKES FLIGHT

 

9 – Tell us a little about yourself.


Margot Johnson grew up in a family of writers and has always loved books and writing.

She is the author of LOVE TAKES FLIGHT and her new release LOVE LEADS THE WAY. Before turning her focus to the fun writing life, Margot held leadership roles in human resources and communications. Her motto is "Dream big and work hard."

When not writing, she loves to connect with family and friends, volunteer with SK Writers Guild, and walk at least 10,000 steps a day (except when it's minus 40!) She lives in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada with her amazing husband and beloved golden retriever.

10 – How can your fans contact and follow you? 

Margot Johnson Author

https://twitter.com/AuthorMargot

Follow each question with your answer and return by the Saturday before your scheduled blog. Send the cover art and your photo (optional) in separate attachments. This will be fun!

 

8 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful you can talk to your sister about your writing! I have lots of supportive family, but I'd love to have someone share my profession. Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I really appreciate the support from successful authors like you, too! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Sandra, for inviting me to be a guest on your blog! It's great to connect with readers and other authors here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so exciting to have new authors here. You're welcome any time.

      Delete
  3. Your book sounds really good! I want to wish you the best on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ilona. So nice to hear from you. I wish you the best on your author journey, too.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your release. The cover is gorgeous as is your fur baby D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much, D.V.! I love them both, too.

    ReplyDelete