Monday, January 18, 2021

Review of Ghostly Interference by Jan Sikes

 



Blog: 

Jag Peters has one goal in his quiet comfortable life—to keep his karma slate wiped clean. A near-miss crash with a candy apple red Harley threatens to upend his safe world. He tracks down the rider to apologize properly. Slipping into a seedy biker bar, he discovers the rider isn't a "he", it's a "she", a dark-haired beauty.

Rena Jett is a troubled soul, who lives in a rough world. She wants no part of Jag's apology, but even while she pushes him away, she is attracted to him. When he claims to see a ghost—her brother—can she trust him? And could her brother's final gift, a magical rune stone with the symbol for "happily ever after" have the power to heal her wounds and allow opposites to find common ground—perhaps even love?

~~~~~

My thoughts:

This story wasn’t just fabulous, it was completely unexpected.

First of all, the author has taken the traditional roles and reversed them. We have our heroine, Rena Jett, the tough biker scarred by a tragic past and determined to stand alone. Then our hero, Jag Peters, is a computer geek who’s struggling with sexual harassment in the workplace. But, one rule holds true – opposites attract. The character development with these two is amazing. They learn and grow from each other throughout.

The Biker line usually turns me off. Many authors write entire series’ about MCs and I have to wonder if they’ve ever been on a bike, let alone known a member of an actual club. (My family has history.) Sikes doesn’t go there. I appreciate that.

Then, there’s the paranormal aspect. The ghost of Rena’s late brother, Sam, isn’t overly intrusive, but he makes his presence known at the right times. How he communicates with the living characters is more believable than in most ghost stories.

This story has sub-plots galore, but each one ties in and has a purpose. One part worried me – when Jag’s family secret was revealed. I thought to myself, “Oh no, too predictable.” However, it goes on to be a good part of the overall story.

Here’s where I have to add a warning to the reader. If you’re just looking for hearts and flowers this isn’t that book. Parts of the characters' past and what happens in the present are sometimes raw and gritty including sexual abuse, kidnapping, motorcycle accident, and gun violence. It may have triggers for some of you. Personally, I thought the author did a great job of relaying these events. I appreciate realism.

This book doesn’t only get a solid five ***** stars from me; it’s one of the few I’ll keep to read again.

Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghostly-Interference-White-Rune-Sikes-ebook/dp/B08KW1KFMW

23 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for the awesome review, Sandra! Wow!! I'm on cloud nine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call 'em as I see 'em, Jan. I can't wait for your next book.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sandra! I'd like to return the review favor. Recommend a book to me. :)

      Delete
  2. I do too, Jennifer. The graphics designers at Wild Rose Press are awesome! Thank you for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for sharing your excellent review, Sandra ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely review of this book which I have also read and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Robbie. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the story!

      Delete
  5. I like the premise, because it is so different. I need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Wishing you all the best, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous review. I'm looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan! I sincerely hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. Such an unusual cover and a terrific review! Congrats, Jan. Love your blog, btw.

    shirley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Shirley! I appreciate you leaving a comment and glad you like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful and well written review, Sandra! There are lots of "ingredients" in this book for a delicious read on a cold winter's day. Congratulations, Jan. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Mark! I appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's a real interview. She said just enough without revealing too much. Jan you must be very proud. I have my copy. Just have to add it to my reading list.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Shirley. I agree. She did a great review without giving any spoilers!

      Delete
  13. Great review! Congratulations to Jan!

    ReplyDelete